Meeting The Client Brief
LO4 (Unit 3) - Be able to carry out post-production techniques and processes for an original media product to a client brief.
(M4:U3, D1:U3)
My front cover and double page spread sample pages have been completed, by myself, using Adobe Photoshop. I have exported both content as j.peg images. This enables me to easily upload it onto any computer (or any other devices), ensuring that the content cannot be manipulated, and that the fonts/texts do not appear faulty or are lost.
Front Cover:
This is my final and completed front cover for my magazine. This front cover meets the client brief as all of the content is original and created/produced by me. It also meets the requirement to create sample pages, as this is the front cover sample page. The image was photographed in North London (Camden Lock, to be specific) by myself. This meets the client brief, as it specifies that the magazine should be North London based as well as include original content.
To ensure that the front cover was of an industry standard, and well created, I researched the common features that successful magazines have (competitors such as NME and Q Magazine) and, the features that will most likely appeal to the target audience. For example, bright colours and bold lettering tend to attract the eye, and intrigue readers. These features are also included on the front covers of my main competitors. It is important that I identify and include common features that make magazines successful (such as a bold masthead, avoiding dead-space and including bold and colourful writing) to maximise the success of my magazine.
Another way in which I have ensured that the front cover was completed to a high-quality standard, is by using Adobe Photoshop. This editing programme enabled me to manipulate acute features of the main image (such as removing unwanted elements), and effectively insert text and various images/shapes. This was helpful as it helped me focus on small details, and ensure that there were no obvious flaws or mistakes that were noticeable to the viewers eye. This meant that the appearance of the finished front cover was at a professional and industry standard level.
When taking the original images for my magazine, I had to do a location recce to ensure that I was aware of all the different locations, as well as having knowledge of any (potential) hazards. This ensured that when the images where eventually taken, I knew the specific locations that I wanted to shoot at - saving time, and was aware of any hazards - enabling me to be cautious.
When developing my from cover, I found that the cover-line's were not noticeable enough. In order to tackle this obstacle, during post-production, I created rectangles of various grey-scale tones, and used them as borders to separate the cover-line's from the background. This enabled the text to stand out and prevent it from blending into the background image.
As I wanted to feature elements of bright colours, I initially chose the main cover-line colour as a bright pink. This colour clashed with the electric blue tones on the person's jacket and in the title. As changing the colour of the image and the masthead would take a long time and be complicated, I decided to be time efficient and alter the colour of the main cover-line. I chose a pastel orange colour as I believe it best compliments the electric blue tones. After changing the colour, I realised that the front cover needed more colour to prevent it from appearing dull. In order to slightly break up the grey tones, I matched one of the other cover-lines to the colour of the main cover-line, bringing in all the colours slightly more.
In order to ensure that the main image stood out and focused on the artist, I made the person in the image remain in colour (as well as enhance, brighten and sharpen this section), and manipulated the background so that it was black and white. I achieved this by duplicating the image and removing the background, ensuring the layer on-top remained in colour.
As I wanted the person in the image to not look out of place, and blend in better, I made the mast- head the same colour as the brighter elements of the image.
As described in both my pitch and proposal, I used the font 'Spray.Me' for the masthead in my magazine as I believe it to best fit the urban theme of my magazine and appeal to young generations, mainly due to the bold graffiti depictions.
For the cover lines, I used the 'Andale Mono' font, to create a clean and sharp appearance, which is more eye-catching and aesthetically pleasing to the viewers eye, as it does not create a cluttered appliance. For the text beneath the cover lines the descriptions), I was initially going to use the 'Andale Mono' font. However, I wanted to create a more separate look to the cover lines, so that the reader did not get confused when reading the text. The font that I ended up using was 'Avenir Next'. This font is relatively compact but still bold, meaning I could fit the information in efficiently, as well as ensure that it was bold enough to stand out from the background, making it easy for the reader to read.
Double Page Spread:
This is my completed double page spread for Grimed Out Magazine. This contains original content (one f the requirements for this task), including a photograph (taken by myself), followed by interview of the artist 'MC Yorkz'.
Another requirement that is stated on the client brief, is ensuring that the magazine is focused on local talent within North London. The artist used, MC Yorkz is from North London and therefore meets this requirement.
On this double page spread, I have included a bold title and chosen a colour theme consisting of grey, red and white - these colours best compliment the image used. I selected the colour red for the interview question as well as the 'MC Yorkz' title. This helps readers to follow the interview when reading the content, as there is a clear separation between question and answer. By using the colour red for the title, it becomes more eye-catching and creates a more vibrant appearance to the double page spread. I have also included an image of the artists new album, with a brief explanation. This promotes the individuals new music, meaning readers will be influenced to listen to it.
When I was creating this double page spread, I had to make various changes before it was completed. One change that I made, was adding a drop shadow to the main title. Due to the hints of white in the background, the title was less noticeable, but I did not want to change the title to a different colour. In order to tackle this difficulty without altering the colour of the title, I added a faint drop shadow. This brought the lettering forward and made it clearer to read. Another feature that I changed, was the thickness of the questions in the interview. As they were in red, I noticed that they did not show up as strongly as the white text. In order to ensure that it was easy to read, I chose a brighter red and duplicated/linked the layers, thickening the text.
Like my front cover, I needed to ensure that the double page spread was to an industry standard. In order to ensure that I affectively edited and created the content, I used Adobe Photoshop. This software enabled me to use tools in order to create a high quality, clear double page spread.
Conclusion
To conclude, both materials that have been created, meet the client's brief as it specifies that the magazine has to be North London based, which it is as the images were photographed in Camden and the talent that has been featured in the magazine is from North London. The content also has to be original, which it is as the content was produced and edited by myself.
Another requirement was to create sample pages. I used the images that I photographed and created sample pages for the front cover and double page spread on photoshop. To add, as the client wants the content to be available both online and as a print-based version, I will ensure that the magazine will be available in both of these ways, through a website and printed versions.
(M4:U3, D1:U3)
My front cover and double page spread sample pages have been completed, by myself, using Adobe Photoshop. I have exported both content as j.peg images. This enables me to easily upload it onto any computer (or any other devices), ensuring that the content cannot be manipulated, and that the fonts/texts do not appear faulty or are lost.
Front Cover:
This is my final and completed front cover for my magazine. This front cover meets the client brief as all of the content is original and created/produced by me. It also meets the requirement to create sample pages, as this is the front cover sample page. The image was photographed in North London (Camden Lock, to be specific) by myself. This meets the client brief, as it specifies that the magazine should be North London based as well as include original content.
To ensure that the front cover was of an industry standard, and well created, I researched the common features that successful magazines have (competitors such as NME and Q Magazine) and, the features that will most likely appeal to the target audience. For example, bright colours and bold lettering tend to attract the eye, and intrigue readers. These features are also included on the front covers of my main competitors. It is important that I identify and include common features that make magazines successful (such as a bold masthead, avoiding dead-space and including bold and colourful writing) to maximise the success of my magazine.
Another way in which I have ensured that the front cover was completed to a high-quality standard, is by using Adobe Photoshop. This editing programme enabled me to manipulate acute features of the main image (such as removing unwanted elements), and effectively insert text and various images/shapes. This was helpful as it helped me focus on small details, and ensure that there were no obvious flaws or mistakes that were noticeable to the viewers eye. This meant that the appearance of the finished front cover was at a professional and industry standard level.
When taking the original images for my magazine, I had to do a location recce to ensure that I was aware of all the different locations, as well as having knowledge of any (potential) hazards. This ensured that when the images where eventually taken, I knew the specific locations that I wanted to shoot at - saving time, and was aware of any hazards - enabling me to be cautious.
When developing my from cover, I found that the cover-line's were not noticeable enough. In order to tackle this obstacle, during post-production, I created rectangles of various grey-scale tones, and used them as borders to separate the cover-line's from the background. This enabled the text to stand out and prevent it from blending into the background image.
As I wanted to feature elements of bright colours, I initially chose the main cover-line colour as a bright pink. This colour clashed with the electric blue tones on the person's jacket and in the title. As changing the colour of the image and the masthead would take a long time and be complicated, I decided to be time efficient and alter the colour of the main cover-line. I chose a pastel orange colour as I believe it best compliments the electric blue tones. After changing the colour, I realised that the front cover needed more colour to prevent it from appearing dull. In order to slightly break up the grey tones, I matched one of the other cover-lines to the colour of the main cover-line, bringing in all the colours slightly more.
In order to ensure that the main image stood out and focused on the artist, I made the person in the image remain in colour (as well as enhance, brighten and sharpen this section), and manipulated the background so that it was black and white. I achieved this by duplicating the image and removing the background, ensuring the layer on-top remained in colour.
As I wanted the person in the image to not look out of place, and blend in better, I made the mast- head the same colour as the brighter elements of the image.
As described in both my pitch and proposal, I used the font 'Spray.Me' for the masthead in my magazine as I believe it to best fit the urban theme of my magazine and appeal to young generations, mainly due to the bold graffiti depictions.
For the cover lines, I used the 'Andale Mono' font, to create a clean and sharp appearance, which is more eye-catching and aesthetically pleasing to the viewers eye, as it does not create a cluttered appliance. For the text beneath the cover lines the descriptions), I was initially going to use the 'Andale Mono' font. However, I wanted to create a more separate look to the cover lines, so that the reader did not get confused when reading the text. The font that I ended up using was 'Avenir Next'. This font is relatively compact but still bold, meaning I could fit the information in efficiently, as well as ensure that it was bold enough to stand out from the background, making it easy for the reader to read.
Double Page Spread:This is my completed double page spread for Grimed Out Magazine. This contains original content (one f the requirements for this task), including a photograph (taken by myself), followed by interview of the artist 'MC Yorkz'.
Another requirement that is stated on the client brief, is ensuring that the magazine is focused on local talent within North London. The artist used, MC Yorkz is from North London and therefore meets this requirement.
On this double page spread, I have included a bold title and chosen a colour theme consisting of grey, red and white - these colours best compliment the image used. I selected the colour red for the interview question as well as the 'MC Yorkz' title. This helps readers to follow the interview when reading the content, as there is a clear separation between question and answer. By using the colour red for the title, it becomes more eye-catching and creates a more vibrant appearance to the double page spread. I have also included an image of the artists new album, with a brief explanation. This promotes the individuals new music, meaning readers will be influenced to listen to it.
When I was creating this double page spread, I had to make various changes before it was completed. One change that I made, was adding a drop shadow to the main title. Due to the hints of white in the background, the title was less noticeable, but I did not want to change the title to a different colour. In order to tackle this difficulty without altering the colour of the title, I added a faint drop shadow. This brought the lettering forward and made it clearer to read. Another feature that I changed, was the thickness of the questions in the interview. As they were in red, I noticed that they did not show up as strongly as the white text. In order to ensure that it was easy to read, I chose a brighter red and duplicated/linked the layers, thickening the text.
Like my front cover, I needed to ensure that the double page spread was to an industry standard. In order to ensure that I affectively edited and created the content, I used Adobe Photoshop. This software enabled me to use tools in order to create a high quality, clear double page spread.
Conclusion
To conclude, both materials that have been created, meet the client's brief as it specifies that the magazine has to be North London based, which it is as the images were photographed in Camden and the talent that has been featured in the magazine is from North London. The content also has to be original, which it is as the content was produced and edited by myself.
Another requirement was to create sample pages. I used the images that I photographed and created sample pages for the front cover and double page spread on photoshop. To add, as the client wants the content to be available both online and as a print-based version, I will ensure that the magazine will be available in both of these ways, through a website and printed versions.

Comments
Post a Comment