Pitching Ideas & Evaluating Responses

LO3 (Unit 21) - Be able to pitch ideas on a proposed media product and respond to questions


(P4:U21, M3:U21)


The following blog-post contains my presentation as well as a video of my final pitch, from which I presented the concept for my magazine entitled 'Grimed Out'. I have also included questions and responses regarding the magazine, and the handouts that a gave to the client.

Presentation:

Questions:

Below are the responses to the questions that I was asked during my pitch. I have answered them in more depth to ensure that the client receives a better understanding of my magazine, as well as ensuring that I have listened to and interpreted the feedback and gained a full understanding.

In your plan, would you want to grow your demographic beyond 20 year olds?

As grime is listened to by a wide age range, we would definitely consider having a secondary target audience that we would aim to branch out to. Also, by widening the demographic, the magazine would have a larger amount of potential customers, which could enhance our chances of gaining a larger following and selling more issues.

How are you going to promote the genre without promoting the anger and aggression to which it stereotypically connotes?

Not all artists produce music that portrays aggression, and thats what we want to focus on in order to eradicate the stigma that individuals may hold over grime today.  For example grime artists such as Stormzy and Santan Dave, mainly focus on creating music that illustrates a story about their upbringing,  emotional incidents that have happened throughout their lives and addressing political issues, as well as expressing their thoughts.We also hope to simply report grime o grime music and give fans monthly updates upon release, as opposed to promote the genre.

Why are magazines such as I-D and Clash considered competition?

Despite these magazines not being solely focused on grime or music in general, they still feature the occasional grime artist/musician on their front covers, such as I-D who did a cover with Stormzy.
These magazines are also commonly read by our selected age demographic meaning they already attract the audience that we hope to attract.

What was the thinking behind your double page spread?

By choosing to have an image of a chosen artist in the centre of the double page spread, we are reiterating and emphasising the fact that the artist is the main focus. We also want our double page spreads to include the text around the image, which again, emphasises the focus and draws the reader in. By presenting our double page spreads along this format, we can create a minimalistic, yet bold feature within the magazine, which will hopefully attract readers.


Handouts:

I created these handouts so that the person that was watching my pitch had an idea of what I intend my magazine to look like. This will help the client to better visualise my ideas and understand them.

Front Cover:

Double Page Spread:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creating Production Materials