Generating Ideas
LO1 (Unit 21) - Be able to generate ideas for an original media product based on a client brief
(P1:U21, M1:U21)
The Brief:
The Task:
My task is to create a music magazine that is based in North London. The content has to be available both online and as a print-based magazine.
Requirements for this task include:
Below is a mind-map of my initial ideas. These will be explained and developed in the proposal and throughout the production process of the magazine
1. How I interpreted the client's brief - requirements:
By exploring venues within North London, I can gather information such as artists that frequently play there, popular a genres of music played in these venues and the quality of the venues (e.g the interior, the atmosphere, etc).
My initial idea for a North London music venue focused magazine, is to review both popular and small music venues. I was also considering including exclusive interviews with managers/owners/other types of people who work within a particular venue, and frequent artists that play at a venue or an individual who has attended the venues.
My target audience for this magazine would be ages 18-25 (young adults). As the magazine targeted for younger people, the format and language used will be informal yet well-made. By this I mean the content will be specific, and high quality, but also laid back and fun to read.
2. Focusing on artists North London:
Artists such as Skepta, Wretch 32, Chip and many more originate within North London. These artists all fall within the music category of grime which could be a good focal point for my magazine. Another good genre to focus on when looking at an artist, could be soul/contemporary R&B. Famous artists from North London who create/created this kind of music include the iconic Amy Winehouse, James Blake and Adele.
As my second idea, I was considering creating an artist based magazine, that looks at musical artists within different genres. The magazine will focus on a different genre, followed by artists who fall within the genre, each month upon its release. This makes the target audience open to everyone from the age of 16+.
Exclusive articles would be released, including research on how artists became famous & how North London helped this happen (fans, venues, etc). It will also include interviews with artists, or an interview with someone representing the artist as well as include original photos of the musicians.
As the target audience is for anyone over the age of 16, the layout and language will have to be easy to understand yet moderately sophisticated to ensure anyone can interpret it, as well as ensure it appeals to older generations.
3. Magazine for a specific genre:
For my third idea, the magazine would focus on grime music. Grime is a prominent genre within North London, especially amongst ages 16-25 (this will be the target audience). In order for the magazine to appeal to the target audience, it would include exclusive interviews and photographs of grime artists, as well as news on latest albums, tour dates and festivals.
The layout of the magazine will keep to a moody, dark colour scheme in order express and connote the atmosphere in which grime creates. The layout/content will be informal yet detailed in order to be clear for readers to interpret but also engaging.
As a feature in my magazine, I was considering including a report style article explaining all of the information gathered on grime and artists that fall within the musical category, such as where and when it originated and what grime artists are from North London.
Conclusion:
To conclude, I have decided to use my third idea for my North London music magazine. Reasons for choosing this idea as opposed to the others is because I believe it will best fit the brief, and I see it as the most interesting idea in comparison to my other two.
To ensure that I meet the requirements of the brief, I will ensure that I am meeting all of the requirements from the client brief. For example, as the brief outlines that there must be an online version and print-based version available of the magazine, I will ensure that the magazine will be created both online and as a printed version. Another requirement is also that the magazine is to be focused on North London, and then if successful, I can expand to all areas throughout London. I will ensure that Grimed Out Magazine meets this requirement by focusing on talent and venues within North London. Another requirement includes creating original content. I will ensure that the content within the magazine is original by collecting information my self (e.g interviewing musicians) and editing/producing the content myself (on Adobe Photoshop). Finally, I will also ensure that I meet the clients requirement of creating a sample front cover and double page spread, by ensuring all the content is produced by myself.
(P1:U21, M1:U21)
The Brief:
The Task:
My task is to create a music magazine that is based in North London. The content has to be available both online and as a print-based magazine.
Requirements for this task include:
- Making sample pages - Including a front cover & double page spread - Implicit
- Online and print-based magazine - Explicit
- North London focused - Implicit
- Showcase talent & venues in the area - Open to interpretation
- Produce original content - Open to interpretation
Below is a mind-map of my initial ideas. These will be explained and developed in the proposal and throughout the production process of the magazine
1. How I interpreted the client's brief - requirements:
- The requirements for the brief includes creating a front cover, double page spread and online version of a North London music magazine.
- The magazine has to be specifically focused on North London music. For example, popular genres, venues and upcoming/established artists within North London.
2. First thoughts for possible ideas following my interpretation:
1. North London venue magazine:
- Specific/popular music venues in North London - Double page spread including images of a venue - Frequent artists that play there, upcoming gigs, atmosphere/typical crowd, etc.
- Upcoming musicians - Particular genre/artist - Double page spread can include an interview or series of interviews with rising talents within North London & photo shoot of the artist(s).
- Particular genres that are popular among North Londoners - Can explore genres that are new to the music scene or new to North London in particular - Can also focus a double page spread on a specific genre that is prominent within North London (i.e grime, jazz, pop, etc).
3. Explanation of my three key ideas:
1. North London venue magazine:
By exploring venues within North London, I can gather information such as artists that frequently play there, popular a genres of music played in these venues and the quality of the venues (e.g the interior, the atmosphere, etc).
My initial idea for a North London music venue focused magazine, is to review both popular and small music venues. I was also considering including exclusive interviews with managers/owners/other types of people who work within a particular venue, and frequent artists that play at a venue or an individual who has attended the venues.
My target audience for this magazine would be ages 18-25 (young adults). As the magazine targeted for younger people, the format and language used will be informal yet well-made. By this I mean the content will be specific, and high quality, but also laid back and fun to read.
Strengths
|
Weaknesses
|
| Appeals to a wide variety of people — Large target audience | May be too generic — Target audience may prefer the magazine to look at specific venues that host a particular genre |
| Generic — Not looking at venues for specific genres | Negative reviews of venues may lead to conflict between the magazine and venue owners |
| Can work alongside venues by writing frequent reviews and advertising as well as being advertised | Reviews may be bias — May be based on what the person reviewing the venue likes as opposed to what the general target population would like |
| Easy to read and understand — Younger audiences will be able to interpret the magazine | May be difficult/expensive to get an interview with owners, managers and frequent visitors |
2. Focusing on artists North London:
As my second idea, I was considering creating an artist based magazine, that looks at musical artists within different genres. The magazine will focus on a different genre, followed by artists who fall within the genre, each month upon its release. This makes the target audience open to everyone from the age of 16+.
Exclusive articles would be released, including research on how artists became famous & how North London helped this happen (fans, venues, etc). It will also include interviews with artists, or an interview with someone representing the artist as well as include original photos of the musicians.
As the target audience is for anyone over the age of 16, the layout and language will have to be easy to understand yet moderately sophisticated to ensure anyone can interpret it, as well as ensure it appeals to older generations.
Strengths
|
Weaknesses
|
| By exploring different artists from a variety of genres, the magazine will attract a large audience and wide range of people | Some magazines may not sell — For example, an edition that focuses on classical artists may only attract a small fraction of the target population and may not be popular among North Londoners |
| Can help artists who are new to the music scene — Promote local talent and increase awareness of them | May be difficult to get an interview with an established artist/their representative as they may be frequently busy |
| Language will be simple yet sophisticated — Will appeal to a wide range of people | Original photos may be difficult to attain |
| Can introduce new genres to North London as well as praise genres that are already locally prominent | Target audience may be too big — May be better to focus on a smaller, more specific age range |
3. Magazine for a specific genre:
For my third idea, the magazine would focus on grime music. Grime is a prominent genre within North London, especially amongst ages 16-25 (this will be the target audience). In order for the magazine to appeal to the target audience, it would include exclusive interviews and photographs of grime artists, as well as news on latest albums, tour dates and festivals.
The layout of the magazine will keep to a moody, dark colour scheme in order express and connote the atmosphere in which grime creates. The layout/content will be informal yet detailed in order to be clear for readers to interpret but also engaging.
As a feature in my magazine, I was considering including a report style article explaining all of the information gathered on grime and artists that fall within the musical category, such as where and when it originated and what grime artists are from North London.
Strengths
|
Weaknesses
|
| Many famous and new grime artists are from/situated in North London (such as Skepta, Professor Green & Chip) — Easy access | Due to the genres popularity, it may be difficult to get exclusive interviews and information about artists before competing magazines do |
| Grime is becoming an increasingly more popular genre, especially amongst London’s youth | Grime may be prominent among younger audiences, but may not appeal to more affluent, upper class people |
| Report style feature is a unique selling point — Interest readers | Despite many artists from the grime scene originate from North London, it may not be the most popular genre among locals — may affect sales |
| As the magazine will include updates on tour dates and promote albums, I could charge artists to have their content featured in the magazine — Easy way to generate income | Artists may choose to pay bigger establishments to advertise their content — will ensure what they are advertising will have a higher chance of selling due to the great amount of recognition an established magazine already has. |
Conclusion:
To conclude, I have decided to use my third idea for my North London music magazine. Reasons for choosing this idea as opposed to the others is because I believe it will best fit the brief, and I see it as the most interesting idea in comparison to my other two.
To ensure that I meet the requirements of the brief, I will ensure that I am meeting all of the requirements from the client brief. For example, as the brief outlines that there must be an online version and print-based version available of the magazine, I will ensure that the magazine will be created both online and as a printed version. Another requirement is also that the magazine is to be focused on North London, and then if successful, I can expand to all areas throughout London. I will ensure that Grimed Out Magazine meets this requirement by focusing on talent and venues within North London. Another requirement includes creating original content. I will ensure that the content within the magazine is original by collecting information my self (e.g interviewing musicians) and editing/producing the content myself (on Adobe Photoshop). Finally, I will also ensure that I meet the clients requirement of creating a sample front cover and double page spread, by ensuring all the content is produced by myself.


Comments
Post a Comment